Since when did feelings become the indicating factor or motivating force behind obedience. I mean, come on. Maturity, as a believer in Christ, is when there is constant trust in what God’s Word says, over mere feelings. If feelings are what get you through life, then you are up a creek without a paddle and no arms to boot.
What God’s Word says NEEDS to supersede what we feel. Feelings can shift by simply drinking a hot cup of coffee, consuming a spicy meal, or popping a pill. However, God’s Word NEVER CHANGES. Did you catch that? Your feelings are erratic but God’s WORD is not.
I asked my son to help me with something the other day. Most often he jumps right up and helps out without rebuttal. This time, however, words proceeded his actions: “But I don’t feel like it.” To that I questioned, “What do feelings have to do with obedience?”
So it is in that vain that I present the following items below. “What do feelings have to do with obedience?”
1. You may not FEEL like forgiving someone but the WORD commands you to; not recommends you to. You may be saying to yourself, “They hurt me and they were at fault. If I forgive them, I will be letting them off the hook.” (See Ephesians 4:32, Matthew 6:14-15, Romans 12:14-21). FORGIVENESS is not a command based on feelings.
2. As a Christian, you may not feel that dating a non christian is wrong. You may say, “But they are really nice, and they do nice things, and they may give their life to Christ because of me, and I don’t want to hurt their feelings.” God’s Word clearly says in II Corinthians 6:14, “DO NOT be yoked together with unbelievers.” Again, I ask, “What’s feelings got to do with it?”
3. You may feel like it’s ok to have sex outside of marriage. Of course you feel like having sex. You are breathing, aren’t you? However, I Corinthians 6:18-20 and I Thessalonians 4:3-8 says that we are to run away from sexual immorality. It’s a bad day when we desire an ORGASM more than God!
4. You may feel like a true worshiper, yet your money is not completely surrendered to God. However, He said WAY too much in His Word for your feelings to have anything to do with it. Matthew 6:21 says that our heart WILL follow our money. If you want to know where your heart is, take a look at your wallet. Fully surrender it and you will have a heart that is fully surrendered to God.
5. You may feel no need to faithfully attend church to worship JESUS. However, in Colossians 1:18, it describes JESUS as the HEAD of the church and the church as HIS body. So, if we are going to be fully devoted followers, then what matters to Him must matter to us. One would have to be a fool to look at the scriptures and conclude that the church does not matter to Jesus! It would be foolish to think that JESUS really came to die for your schedule, work, dance, and sports. He laid His life down for what you may not FEEL like caring about.
6. You may feel like anger is an unacceptable response but God’s Word clearly says in Philippians 2:3-5 that it is NOT about you and you are still responsible for your response.
7. You may not feel like sharing JESUS with someone. However, in Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15, Luke 24:45-48, John 20:21 and Acts 1:8, Jesus said that sharing your faith was never an option. Feelings never were really taken into consideration.
It’s time we stop looking up to God with that irritated look of complete distain on our faces while uttering the words, “But I don’t feel like obeying.” For He will simply say, “What does feelings have to do with obedience?”